Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Week Seven: From Cheesesteaks to Sit-ins

I spent my morning covering a plaque dedication in front of Geno's Steaks in South Philly honoring its late owner, Joey Vento. Vento was a big supporter of the first responder community, so the city's FOP honored him with the ceremony they typically use for fallen officers.

This was a very fun assignment. Police officers, kids from Annunciation BVM (the neighborhood school) and other community members flanked all sides of the block as visiting Mummers played Sinatra-era hits. Police Commissioner Ramsey made a few comments memorializing Vento. Cheesesteaks, cops and Catholic school kids--how much more Philly can you get? This city can sometimes be a caricature of itself.

I ran into Ramsey later in the day at Occupy Philly protest at the Comcast Center. The occupants were protesting corporate greed and police brutality in solidarity with the violent in Oakland, Ca. that week. It was quite the scene. I stuck around for the whole protest and saw 9 Occupy members get hauled away in police vans.

I spoke with protesters and dictated the story back to my editors for an online update. I'm getting better at that kind of spot coverage. It was initially hard to get past the record-transcribe-contemplate-write model of reporting, but it's essential for newspaper writing. I'm getting the hang of it.

A very interesting day in Philadelphia.

No comments:

Post a Comment