Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Week 8: Mitt Romney Protest

That Friday I was assigned to cover Occupy Philly again. The occupiers along with several progressive political action groups (MoveOn.org, Democracy Now) had planned a march from the Dilworth Plaza encampment to Rittenhouse Square Hotel, where GOP nominee and former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney was holding a fundraiser. To get some background and a feel for the Occupy movement, I spent the morning at the encampment, talking to occupants and taking notes on the scene.

To avoid the half mile walk back to the Inky newsroom, I collected my notes and made some phone calls at the paper's City Hall bureau and dictated the story to my editor. I then made my way to the encapment for the march, but not before a calamitous scenario in which I found myself locked in a City Hall bathroom for 15 minutes. When I was finally liberated, I caught up with the protesters at Rittenhouse. They demonstrated for about an hour then marched in a circuitous route around Center City for several more. Next time, I will bring a heavier coat.

The protesters then returned to the encampment, where I stayed for another hour or so to cover the action. At about 7:00, I dictated my notes to an editor and departed for the night. Yet another long, but exciting day!

No comments:

Post a Comment