Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Week Four: West Catholic

Midway through my time at the Inky, I was assigned to report on a fundraiser put on by West Catholic High School featuring former Jersey Boy cast members and comedian Joe Piscopo. I spent a morning at West Catholic with the school's minister, Mike Marone, who took me on a tour of the school. (Having spent nine years in a Catholic grade school, it was a bit of a walk down memory lane for me.)

Later in the day, I went back to 400 North Broad for phone interviews with Piscopo, jovial as ever, and a member of the Jersey Boys. Because reporting took up most of the day, and the story wasn't going in the paper for a few weeks, I ended up writing it over the weekend.

It was a very fun story, but I ended up having to play PR person for the event; after the story was in print, I received a flood of e-mail and phone inquiries about purchasing tickets. I guess the readers didn't notice the tagline with West Catholic's PR representative's info at the bottom of the story. Better than hate mail!

No comments:

Post a Comment