Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Wee Six: Fleisher Art Memorial

That Friday I worked on a story about Fleisher Art Memorial, an after-school art program that won a Presidential Award for it's engagement of the city's youth in the arts. I got to go back to Bella Vista (where I did the mural assignment) and tour the facility, interview some program organizers and meet with the young girl who accepted the award in D.C. from Michele Obama.

This was my first time having such a formal, prearranged interview with a young person. It was kind of a challenge, but it wasn't that long ago that I was 16 so I knew what to expect. You really have to watch how you phrase your questions--anyone that's ever been at  a dinner table with someone ages 13-18 knows to expect brevity in a teenager's responses.

But this girl was great. Got some great details about her background and what attracted her to the art program. It was fun to hear about her excitement in meeting the First Lady. A very fun assignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment