Tuesday, April 3, 2012

A Camden Legend

Midway through my internship, I was assigned to help out with a article memorializing Melvin "Randy" Primas, former Camden mayor and a pillar of the community. I was given a list of names to call to get a better picture of who he was, what he stood for, what his legacy will be. It's always tough talking to people about death--let alone complete strangers--but everyone I talked to was willing to share their memories of Primas with me.

I got to work with a pretty senior reporter on this story, which was neat. Though S. Jersey is a bit slower, I'm liking how the smaller newsroom makes approaching other reporters less scary. In the vast newsroom at 400 N. Broad, I'd have to allot 30-45 seconds of deep, yogic breathing before I said hi to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment