Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Black History in the Barbershop

At the close of Black History Month, I covered a storytelling/sing-a-long event at RC's Tonsorial Barbershop in downtown Camden. It was the kind of event story I live for. The kind where, but for my notepad and pen, I would be so utterly out of place.

Civil War re-enactors, members of the Buffalo Soldier motorcycle team and dozens from the community crowded in the small corner barbershop to sing freedom hymns and share stories about their history. The highlight was speaking with RC himself, a very wise man with an incredible beard. He told me about growing up in Camden during the Civil Rights movement and raising his children in the same neighborhood.

I'm enjoying getting to know Camden as something other than "that place over the bridge where I'm not to get lost."

No comments:

Post a Comment