Monday, May 14, 2012

Tiny Fishermen

I always love a cutesy kid story.  And the cute factor is compounded with the addition of animals and jolly older folks.

In one of my last assignments for the Inquirer, I was asked to cover "Mr. Gary's Fishing Derby," a spring break tradition in the Mount Laurel school district. Mr. Gary is a beloved school bus driver for the Mount Laurel School's kindergartners and organizes a fishing contest each year at local park's pond. A fishing enthusiast, Mr. Gary decorates his school bus with aquatic paraphernalia and preaches the benefits of fishing to his young passengers throughout the school year.

I got to go to the "contest," talk to Mr. Gary, children, parents and officials from the school district. At risk of sounding old, it was nice to see a big group of very young children enjoying the great outdoors. I'm comforted to know people still do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment