Friday, October 28, 2011

Week 1

       In my first week at the Inquirer, I had the pleasure of covering a naturalization ceremony presided by Justice Sandra Day O'Connor at the Constitution Center in Old City. The ceremony was part of the 224th anniversary of the U.S. Constitution. I began my day on the roof of the Center, at a pep rally in which O'Connor lead a crowd of high school students in a recitation of the Preamble. Next was a closed door press conference where O'Connor and city officials outlined the state of civic education in the United States, which apparently isn't so great.
     My favorite part of the day was the naturalization ceremony. I interviewed close to 10 new citizens, who had immigrated from India, Liberia and some former Soviet countries. It was heartening to hear their stories and their successful path to citizenship.
        After a quick lunch,  I followed the first female U.S. Supreme Court Justice to a South Philly Middle School, where she was promoting her new civic education computer program. I got to interview some of the school's newly elected student council members, who were sworn in by Justice O'Connor during her visit. All in all, a great first assignment.

Here's the final product:

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/pennsylvania/20110918_O_Connor_helps_Philadelphia_celebrate_Constitution_s_224th_anniversary.html

No comments:

Post a Comment